Krrb is now part of the Apartment Therapy family! Check out the Marketplace for an even wider selection of furnishings and home decor.
With the autumn season comes an amazing assortment of hearty vegetables just waiting to be enjoyed. While spaghetti squashes and sweet potatoes fly off the shelves, consider grabbing the versatile cauliflower. Cauliflower is freshest in the fall months and usually costs less than a bag of your favorite potatoes. As a member of the cruciferous family, cauliflower is packed with antioxidants, phytochemicals and anti-inflammatory qualities. So when you make a batch of this delicious cauliflower mash, take solace that this autumnal meal is not only good for your soul, it’s good for your body, too!
Unlike most mash recipes, there are no pots of boiling water needed here. All that’s required is a blender and spatula to create this two-step dish. I find it easier to blend the cashews before adding the cauliflower, creating the vegan cheese base for the dish. Into the blender goes the soaked cashews, water, oil, lemon juice, miso paste, onion, garlic, avocado and spices. I went with sage, thyme and rosemary since these are woody, classic fall flavors. However, dill or parsley also work nicely. Since this dish is raw, vegan and prepared cold, I recommend added a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to bring some much needed heat to the endnote.
After the cashew cheese is blended smooth, you can add in the cauliflower florets. Pulse the cauliflower mash until the consistency is to your preference. Spoon a dollop of cauliflower mash onto your plate, and garnish it with a couple leaves of rosemary. If you’re a fan of gravy with your mashed potatoes, check out Chef Ani Phyo for her raw vegan version of mushroom gravy. Once made, this cauliflower dish should last at least a week in your refrigerator.
- 1 head of organic cauliflower
- 1 cup of organic cashews, soaked
- 1 tbsp of organic un-pasteurized low sodium miso paste
- 1 tbsp of organic olive oil
- 1 organic lemon, juice only
- 1/2 organic onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 avocado
- Few sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and sage
- Sea salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Splash of water, as needed
- Nutritional yeast
- Cayenne pepper
1. Rough chop cauliflower, onion, garlic and herbs.
2. Add all ingredients (except cauliflower) into blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Add cauliflower and pulse until incorporated.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Will cauliflower mash make a presentation at your dinner table this season?