Sometimes you want a cute welcome mat. You know, something welcoming and witty to greet you after a way-too-long and way-too-annoying day at the office. But sometimes, you don’t want to pay $50 for it. So, sometimes you make your own.
Drawing inspiration from this post, this month we DIY-ed some very welcoming welcome mats using materials we had lying around (minus the mats themselves). And we love them.
To make your own, you can go one of two ways: freehand or stencil (using contact paper). Most of us opted for the former, but after seeing how good the “hi.” version below looked, most of us regretted our decision.
Here’s what you’ll need:
And here’s how to do it:
1. Start by picking what message you want on your mat. This might be the hardest part. (Some thought starters we played around with: yo; beat it; bye, Felicia; and BYOB.)
2. Once you’ve settled on your word choice, type it out in a clean, large font. Then hit print.
3. Trace your message onto the contact paper, and cut it out using an X-Acto knife.
4. Plop the “stencil” onto your mat and paint away. The mat will soak up a lot of paint, so go lightly and layer up if needed.
5. Let dry and place it at your entrance.
So yup, it’s really that easy. Now, any ideas for next month? And let me know if you’re started your own DIY club, I have tips to get you started.