Dancin’ in the Streets — How-to Get A Block Party Permit

Dancin in the Streets — How to Get A Block Party Permit

Don't block parties just make you want to dance? Photo: Jameschororos.tumblr.com

Nothing says neighborly love like a block party. The age-old summer tradition is more important than ever as it brings people offline and outside. Since it’s the season to get to know the people in your neighborhood, we’ve got the lowdown on what it takes to get block party permits in a few of Krrb’s most popular cities including New York City, Chicago, Denver and San Francisco. Before you start making plans on who’s bringing dessert, check out what it takes to get you dancing in the streets.

New York City

Dancin in the Streets — How to Get A Block Party Permit

Gather around and have a good time. Photo: Now-here-this.timeout.com

New York City loves their block parties and street festivals in the summer. As long as it’s a community-driven event with no profits being made, it’s easy peasy to get your permit. Apply online with the Mayor’s Street Activity Permit Office at least 90 days prior to the event date and pay the $25.75 processing fee. Block parties with rides are required to provide liability insurance. And don’t forget that after the fun is over, that clean up includes mandatory recycling.


Dancin in the Streets — How to Get A Block Party Permit

Paint the streets red with sidewalk chalk. Photo: Blockpartyles.wordpress.com

There’s is no party like a block party in Chi-town. Recreational street closure permits are issued by the Chicago Department of Transportation. You’ll want to submit your application with at least 30 days notice to secure a permit. The City of Chicago supplies No Parking signs and barricades. Consult your Alderman to request an appearance from one of Chicago Fire Department’s fire engines, emergencies withstanding. To make your block party a bigger hit, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events offers Jumping Jack, popular outdoor inflatables for community block parties.


Dancin in the Streets — How to Get A Block Party Permit

There's nothing like turning your neighbors into friends. Photo: Whenyouawake.com

If you’re in The Mile High City, head to Public Works Permit Operations for your block party permit. Permits are only available for residential streets and alley closures. According to Denver’s policies, every resident needs to be notified of the event and traffic closure. Get to knocking on doors because you’ll have to secure signatures for about 75 percent of the residents impacted. Bring a your completed Petition of Street or Alley Closure down to city hall at least 5 business days prior to the event. Make sure to post notices of the upcoming black party with the date and time of the event. You’ll also have to provide liability insurance and barricades of some sort to close down the traffic way.

San Francisco

Dancin in the Streets — How to Get A Block Party Permit

When things heat up, make sure you've got a way to cool down. Photo: Bobguskind.com

It will cost you a pretty penny to throw a neighborhood party in the Bay Area. Starting at $154, a one block closure in a residential area requires at least 60 days notice. Fees increase if you file your application with less notice prior to the event. If you’re in San Francisco, give yourself enough time to rally up interest, fill out the application and apply through Interdepartmental Staff Committee on Traffic and Transportation.

Tell Us

Dancin in the Streets — How to Get A Block Party Permit

Sit down and stay a while. Photo: Onestowatchmedia.com

Are block parties a part of your summer plans? How else do you and your neighbors get together?

Back to top

More from the blog